Sunday, July 10, 2011

Front Door Frame


I found this awesomely chunky frame at a yard sale a couple weeks ago.
 I spray painted it with Rust-o-leum Metallic Silver.  It covered REALLY well. I love Rust-o-leum!
 The velvet trim didn't take the paint so I improvised.
 I scrounged around for ribbon and heated up my trusty glue gun.
 I used 2 different techniques for the ribbon.  For the turquoise ribbon I cut each of the 4 pieces at an angle.
 I see how long I needed to cut it, I butted up the corners together and 
 cut the angles using the frame as a guide.
 Then I glued one end making sure it met the other corner piece.
 Last I ran a bead of glue on the other part and pressed it down.
This method worked out alright...but then I thought of something I liked better!
 Instead of pre-cutting all 4 pieces and then hot gluing, I just cut and glued as I went.  This worked out MUCH better!  I laid the first side down, ran glue, pressed it down,
 and THEN clipped the corners at an angle.
 You can see the difference in techniques here.  The yellow miter cut doesn't have any space, and the turquoise has a teeny gap...barely noticeable, but enough to let you know there's a better way to do it!
 Here's what it looks like with the ribbon all on.  I love turquoise and and nice sunny yellow together!
 Since the frame was originally meant to be hung in landscape format, I needed to change it since I was going to use it in portrait format.  I grabbed some screws and my husband's drill to make a picture hanger.
I LOVE my husband's drill!  Can you tell the glue gun and ribbon are it's friends!
 I slapped a couple screws in there
 and twisted some craft wire around them
 back and forth a couple times
until it was nice and strong.
 I printed a quote Cindy sent me from Cinsarah's Etsy shop and put glue dots on the corners and put it in the frame.
 So now instead of my front door screen looking like this...
 ...it looks like this!
Don't you love the graphic?!  Go buy one for yourself!

Lots o' love,

Megan

3 comments:

  1. I love it Megan! you are so crafty!! :)
    Thanks for the shoutout! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is Your home is stunning!!! I adore the simplicity and calming colors - it brings more attention to each fun detail and makes them look so thoughtful and intentional. So beautiful!!!! I adore the simplicity and calming colors - it brings more attention to each fun detail and makes them look so thoughtful and intentional. So beautiful!Jody

    ReplyDelete